Children & Youth
We do everything in our power to provide quality education, opportunities, and services to children and youth facing homelessness. Our district ensures that homeless students and their families know their legal rights to receive those services. Homeless students have the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where they live now or how long they have lived there.
- Start school immediately, even if they are missing records and documents normally required for enrollment
- Attend the neighborhood school closest to where they currently live, or, attend their school of origin. School of origin is the school the child attended when permanently houses or the school in which the child or youth was last enrolled.
- Receive transportation to and from their original school (school of origin), whenever feasible.
- Participate fully in all school activities, while their new school arranges for records transfers.
- Receive the same programs and services as their schoolmates, and be treated with the same respect and attention as their classmates. It is against federal law to separate students based on their living conditions. And it harms the educational process that is our goal to fulfill.
San Diego Unified SD
4100 Normal St.
San Diego, CA